Founded by an Act of Parliament in 1854 Sydney Grammar School was officially opened in 1857.

The modern College Street has around eleven hundred boys, St Ives over four hundred, and Edgecliff three hundred. Our boys now proceed from the School to a variety of Universities in New South Wales and beyond, but the basic purpose of Grammar as set out in the Act – ‘to confer on all classes and denominations of Her Majesty’s subjects resident in the Colony of New South Wales, without any distinction whatsoever, the advantages of a regular and liberal course of education’ – remains the same.

Since its foundation, the School and its old boys (called ‘Old Sydneians’) have played an important part in the history of this country.

A Proud History


Our Locations

The secondary school (7–12) is located in College Street in the city of Sydney.

There are two preparatory schools, one in Paddington (K–Year 6) and one in St Ives (Preschool–Year 6).