- The School collects personal information, including information classified as “sensitive” under the Privacy Act, about pupils and parents or guardians before and during the course of a pupil’s enrolment at the School. The primary purpose of collecting this information is to enable the School to provide schooling for your son.
- Some of the information we collect is to satisfy the School’s legal obligations, particularly to enable the School to discharge its duty of care.
- Certain laws governing or relating to the operation of schools require that certain information is collected. These include Public Health and Child Protection laws.
- Health information about pupils is sensitive information within the terms of the National Privacy Principles under the Privacy Act. We ask you to provide medical reports and information about pupils from time to time.
- The School from time to time discloses personal and sensitive information to others for administrative and educational purposes. This includes to other schools, government departments, medical practitioners and people providing services to the School, including specialist visiting teachers, sports and other coaches and volunteers.
- If we do not obtain the information referred to above, we may not be able to enrol or continue the enrolment of your son.
- Personal information collected from pupils is regularly disclosed to their parents or guardians as appropriate. On occasions information such as academic and sporting achievements, pupil activities and other news is published in School publications, including without limitation newsletters or magazines and may be published on our website if appropriate. This includes names and photographs of boys.
- Parents may seek access to personal information collected about them and their son by contacting the School. Pupils may also seek access to personal information about them. However, there will be occasions when access is denied. Such occasions would include where access would have an unreasonable impact on the privacy of others, where access may result in a breach of the School’s duty of care to the pupil, or where pupils have provided information in confidence.
- As you may know, the School from time to time engages in fundraising activities. Information received from you may be used to make an appeal to you. It may also be disclosed to organisations that assist in the School’s fundraising activities solely for that purpose. We will not disclose your personal information to third parties for their own marketing purposes without your consent.
- We may include your contact details in a class list or team or other group list. If you do not agree to this, you need to advise us now. Your son’s name and some personal details are published in the School Diary, as are the names of officers of parent and Old Sydneian associations.
- The School has auxiliary bodies of parents and Old Sydneians and others. It discloses names and addresses of parents to the Committees of such bodies, which play a valuable part in the life of the School. If you do not want us to do this, please contact the Senior Master. Not allowing such information to be provided to such bodies may affect your ability to take part in the life of the School.
- If you provide the School with the personal information of others, such as doctors or emergency contacts, we encourage you to inform them that you are disclosing that information to the School and why, that they can access that information if they wish, and that the School does not usually disclose the information to third parties.
- Any parent, pupil or other person concerned about any aspect of this notice should contact the Senior Master.
This information is also available as a pdf file. Click here to download.